Urban and land use planners (NOC 2153)

View all job titles

Please read this note before you continue

Hide note
The 2019-2023 job prospects by occupation have been revised to take the COVID-19 health crisis into account. For more information about the meaning of each diagnostic, see the glossary.

Nature of work

Urban and land use planners develop plans and recommend policies for managing land use, physical facilities and associated services for urban and rural areas and remote regions. They are employed by all levels of government, land developers, engineering and other consulting companies, or may work as private consultants.

Main duties

  • Urban and land use planners perform some or all of the following duties:
  • - Compile and analyze data on demographic, economic, legal, political, cultural, sociological, physical and other factors affecting land use
  • - Confer with municipal, provincial and federal authorities, civic leaders, social scientists, lawyers, land developers, the public and special interest groups to formulate and develop land use or community plans
  • - Prepare and recommend land development concepts and plans for zoning, subdivisions, transportation, public utilities, community facilities, parks, agricultural and other land uses
  • - Continued…
  • - Prepare plans for environmental protection, such as wildlife preserves, national and provincial parks, and protection of watersheds
  • - Present plans to civic, rural and regional authorities and hold public meetings to present plans, proposals or planning studies to the general public and special interest groups
  • - Review and evaluate proposals for land use and development plans and prepare recommendations
  • - Process application for land development permits and administer land use plans and zoning by-laws
  • - Formulate long-range objectives and policies relative to future land use and the protection of the environment
  • - Supervise and co-ordinate work of urban planning technicians and technologists.

Employment requirements

  • * A bachelor's degree in urban and regional planning, geography, architecture, engineering or a related discipline is required.
  • * A master's degree in one of these disciplines may be required.
  • * Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is usually required.
  • * Membership in a provincial planning institute may be required in some provinces.
  • * Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification is offered by the Canada Green Building Council and may be required by some employers.

For full information about this occupation, click the links on the left under

Information on the occupation