Other professional occupations in therapy and assessment (NOC 3144)

View all job titles

Please read this note before you continue

Hide note
The 2019-2023 job prospects by occupation have been revised to take the COVID-19 health crisis into account. For more information about the meaning of each diagnostic, see the glossary.

Nature of work

This unit group includes specialized therapists not elsewhere classified who use techniques such as athletic, movement, art or recreational therapy to aid in the treatment of mental and physical disabilities or injuries. They are employed by establishments such as hospitals, rehabilitation centres, extended health care facilities, clinics, recreational centres, nursing homes, industry, educational institutions and sports organizations, or they may work in private practice.

Main duties

  • Therapists and other professionals in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
  • - Assess patients and review reports from physicians, physiotherapists, psychiatrists, counsellors, teachers and other professionals to determine patients' current and potential functioning level
  • - Prepare individualized and group treatment plans either independently or through a multidisciplinary team approach, based on health concerns and on recommendations from physicians or other health professionals
  • - Design specialized therapy programs to maintain, rehabilitate or enhance movement, musculoskeletal functioning and performance in sports, work and recreation
  • - Continued…
  • - Implement treatment plans by carrying out specialized therapy sessions employing approaches and techniques such as art, drama and music therapy or dance, recreational, sports or other movement therapy
  • - Observe, record observations and analyze patients during treatment sessions, write progress reports on patient outcomes and consult with other health professionals to evaluate treatment plans
  • - May provide education to clients regarding health promotion and injury prevention, management and treatment
  • - May conduct research in respective field of specialization.

Employment requirements

  • * Kinesiologists usually require a master's degree in kinesiology or human kinetics.
  • * Certification for kinesiologists is available through the Canadian Kinesiology Alliance.
  • * Sport therapists require a bachelor's degree in sport therapy, or a degree in health sciences with a specialization in sports injury management.
  • * Art therapists require a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in art therapy.
  • * Music therapists require a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in music therapy.
  • * Dance therapists require a bachelor's degree in psychology, and usually require a master's degree in art, drama or movement therapy.
  • * Recreational therapists usually require a bachelor's degree in recreation with a specialization in therapeutic recreation.
  • * Supervised practical training is usually required for occupations in this unit group.
  • * Creative or technical ability in the field of specialization is usually required.
  • * Certification or membership with the appropriate national professional association or provincial counterpart may be required.

For full information about this occupation, click the links on the left under

Information on the occupation