Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers (NOC 4166)

View all job titles

Please read this note before you continue

Hide note
Changes have been made to the method for estimating job prospects per occupation. To better reflect the reality of the job market and the new method of estimation, the prospect diagnostics have been modified. Thus, the possible diagnostics are now excellent, good, limited and not published. For more information about the meaning of each diagnostic, see the glossary.

Nature of work

Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, produce reports and administer elementary, secondary and post-secondary education policies and programs. They are employed by government departments, school boards, research institutes, professional associations and educational and other organizations throughout the public and private sectors, or they may be self-employed.

Main duties

  • Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers perform some or all of the following duties:
  • - Conduct research, produce reports and administer education policies and programs
  • - Evaluate curriculum programs and recommend improvements
  • - Develop the structure, content and objectives of new programs
  • - Continued…
  • - Conduct statistical analyses to determine cost and effectiveness of education policies and programs
  • - Provide ongoing professional development, training and consultative services to teachers and other professionals throughout the public and private sector
  • - Develop teaching materials and other resources for program delivery
  • - Deliver presentations at conferences, workshops and symposia
  • - May supervise the work of other education policy researchers, consultants or program officers
  • - May administer specialized testing and assessment programs.

Employment requirements

  • * A bachelor's degree in education or in a discipline such as social science or business administration is required.
  • * A master's degree in education may be required.
  • * Specialized training or certification may be required.
  • * Several years of experience as a school teacher are usually required.
  • * A teacher's certificate for the province of employment is usually required when employed by provincial education ministries.

For full information about this occupation, click the links on the left under

Information on the occupation